Friday, March 13, 2009

March 13 (Adar 17) ~ Romans 8

His Work, not my own ...

S - Scripture: Romans 8:1-39

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. v.38-39

O - Observations:

Therefore there is now no condemnation (eternal damnation) for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1

(It is only later manuscripts add in "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.")

Romans 5:16-17 And the result of God's gracious gift is very different from the result of that one man's sin. For Adam's sin led to condemnation, but we have the free gift of being accepted by God, even though we are guilty of many sins. The sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over us, but all who receive God's wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ.

Because of Christ's power in us we not only conqueor death, but we have been given the freedom from sin and the wages sin brings which is death.

God destroyed sin's control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace.

Does the Spirit live in you? Are you controlled by your sinful nature or by the fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control)?

If His Spirit lives in you then one day after we die His Spirit will raise you up from the dead just as it did to Christ but if you are living according to the flesh (being unloving, living in despair, living in fear and with anxiety, being impatient with yourself and others, acting unkindly, living wickedly, being unfaithful to God and others, being cruel and abusive in word or deed and living without controlling your fleshly desires for food, alcohol, drugs or passions), then you must die and will die physically and eternally; but if by the power of the Spirit you are putting to death these deeds of the body, you will live.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What typifies your life?
If you were to weigh these characteristics in a balance,
what typically characterizes your life?
Life vs. death
Love vs. hate, dislike, scorn, discord
Joy vs. despair, sadness, sorrow, woe
Peace vs. agitation, frustration, irritation, fighting
Patience vs. impatience, intolerance
Kindness vs. cruel, inconsiderate, mean, unfriendly, ungenerous
Goodness vs. badness, corruptness, evil, indecency, meanness, wickedness
Faithfulness vs. inconsistent, unreliable, not authentic
Gentleness vs. being rough, violent, loud, sharp-tongued, explosive
Self-control vs. undisciplined in one's emotions desires and actions
A tree is known by it's fruit ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of interest, the word used for patience in scripture is also translated "forbearing" which means "The act of a creditor who refrains from enforcing a debt when it falls due." This is what Christ did for us and what we should do for others. Forgive us our debts as we forgive those who trespass against us.

When you are in a situation and you look at the above list of possible reactions ~ one being of the flesh and one being of the Spirit ~ those who have the Spirit in them can cry out Abba, Father and find help to not react in the flesh. Not only is this life giving in the here and now, but we can look forward to the greater glory in the future, life eternal. To "suffer" here is nothing compared to the greater glory there.

And when you can't cry out or do not know what to cry out to the Father for, His Spirit in you will make intercession. Just kneel down before Him ... the Spirit and the Son will intercede for you.


A - Application for me today:

What this passage tells me is that even though I am guilty of very many sins (and I am) that I can be forgiven, HAVE BEEN forgiven and I can triumph and have victory in this life over the sins that so easily beset me. It is there like a beautifully wrapped package waiting for me to unwrap it ~ bow and all.

Through the death and resurrection of our Savior, Christ our LORD, I can be free of habitually sinning. The things that characterize my life does not have to be sin and sorrow, but my life can be a reflection of His Spirit of life and peace and joy ~ the abundant life! It is so simple, and yet we (I) make it so hard.

This passage tells me that it starts in the mind ~ this life is a mindset, but not something I can do on my own. In and of my own self and my earthly human mind I would fail every time, but when we invite the Spirit to come in and change our mindsets, to have reign in our hearts then we can begin to see lasting changes first in the way we think and view things. If we are having trouble with one of our children or our spouse we can ask God, our Abba, Father, to give us His mind on the issue or person and suddenly we begin too look at things a little differently and because we see things differently, perhaps we can also act differently. OH GOD, GIVE ME A DIFFERENT MINDSET!


P - Prayer in response:

Father, when I look at the above list, one that characterizes a life filled with your Holy Spirit and the other with the god of this world ... I have to say that lately and too often my reactions are in the second column. I get easily frustrated with myself and others. I find myself getting impatient and intolerant. Sowing discord and being undisciplined. I feel the scales are tipping against my favor and when I am judged I do not want these to be weighed against me. I want a life that is characterized by your Holy Spirit ~ the abundant life. I want to be loving and patient, kind and gentle, coming to the end of my day with a peace that we did okay not because of something I am, but because of Who You are and Your Holy Spirit's work in my day and in my life. I want to have goodness in my life and You are the Only Good One. I want to be found a good and faithful servant. Lastly I want "self"-control over my actions and reactions, in what I say and do, in my eating and in my responses to my children and husband.

In and of myself I am incapable of these things, but You LORD are able to do abundantly more than we could ever ask or hope for. I can do all things through You when You give me strength.

I have not been a Daniel, if I were weighed today I fear I would be found lacking. I want to be a Daniel ~ 10 x better, but not for myself, but for your Glory and for a witness of Your Mighty Power. If I can be found to overcome and freely recieve You gift then anyone can. Paul said he was the chiefest of sinners, but I wasn't born yet!

Fill me with Your Spirit. Renew my mind. Let your Fruit be the character of my life.

In the Saving, Gracious Son of the Living God I pray,
Amen and Amen.

This life is a journey to know Him more. Above all else LORD, give me Yourself! Jesus my passion in life is to know you to make all of my goals to bow down to knowing you more. You have showered your goodness on me and given me your love so freely. Please LORD hear my hearts cry and my prayer for my life ... above all else to have You in my life.

I write unto you, little children,
because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
1 John 2:12
Psalms 32:1-11
How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered! How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no deceit! When I kept silent {about my sin,} my body wasted away Through my groaning all day long. For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; My vitality was drained away {as} with the fever heat of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah. Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found; Surely in a flood of great waters they will not reach him. You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah. I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you. Do not be as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, Whose trappings include bit and bridle to hold them in check, they will not come near to you. Many are the sorrows of the wicked, But he who trusts in the LORD, lovingkindness shall surround him. Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you righteous ones; And shout for joy, all you who are upright in heart.

No comments: