Thursday, June 2, 2016

He took my place (His Life for Mine)




Today we are in the last parts of the book of Matthew.  We are reading from Matthew 27:27–56 today and tomorrow we will finish our study in the book of Matthew.



“… in every minute particular recorded about the sufferings of Christ,

we find some prediction in the Prophets or the Psalms fulfilled.”

~ Matthew Henry



It’s the last two days of our study.  I have really enjoyed our time in Matthew and getting to know our Lord more through the words of Matthew.  Today we are reading about His crucifixion.  These are not easy words to read through, but today I want to borrow from some commentators and the real point that came across to me today was how Jesus (Yeshua) took my place and traded places with me.


Stop and listen and worship with me:



In his commentary, Stephen Dray, points out “Jesus wanted to save other people. So he refused to save himself (verse 42).”  “Christ underwent all the misery and shame, that he might purchase for us everlasting life, and joy, and glory.  He was, at his death, numbered among the transgressors, that we, at our death, might be numbered among the saints.  During the three hours which the darkness continued, Jesus was in agony, wrestling with the powers of darkness … Jesus uttered a complaint from Psalms 22:1.  Hereby he teaches of what use the word of God is to direct us in prayer … He had undertaken to make himself an offering for sin, and he did it when he willingly gave up his life.” (Matthew Henry)



Matthew Henry says it best how we can apply this Scripture today, “Let us, with an eye of faith, behold Christ and him crucified, and be affected with that great love wherewith he loved us.”  He the Just One died for us, the unjust.  What more can we do, but lay our lives down willingly for Him!



Heavenly Father, Thank you for taking my place.  I do not know if I can ever fully comprehend what all that entailed, but I know the pain was more than a physical pain.  Father, I pray that I would be willing to love and serve You daily with all that I am and all that I have.  That I would be willing to share these great truths with others so that they might experience Your great love as well.  In the Name of our Precious Savior, Yeshua our Messiah, I pray, Amen & Amen.



No comments: