Thursday, July 25, 2013

LOVE WELL

Most of us have read 1 Corinthians 13, often referred to as "The Love Chapter", in the Bible.  You may have even seen it printed on wedding bulletins perhaps (it was on mine).

These familiar verses are the hardest I think to comment on, and yet a verse I am deeply struggling with today as I deal with a particular situation in my own life. Love is the greatest thing this verse tells us. In my Bible dictionary it talked about "the power of love". I mulled that thought around for a while about how truly powerful true, godly, agape love is. 

I went on from there to read some other verses about this agape love.

John 13:35 says our love is how others know we belong to Christ.
Romans 13:10 says this kind of love fulfills the law of God.
I Corinthians 8:1 talks about how love builds one another up (a verse we talked about in VBS this week).
Galatians 5:13 says by love we serve one another. 
Galatians 5:22 says this kind of love comes from the Spirit of God. 
Ephesians 5:2 says we are to walk [daily] in this kind of love.

But my favorite was Jude 1:21 that says "Keep yourself in the agape love of God looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." Keep yourself in God's agape love. It's like a big hug from the Father to be kept in His love. 

A friend of mine posted these song lyrics on FB today "And I will call upon Your name, And keep my eyes above the waves, When oceans rise, My soul will rest in your embrace, For I am Yours and You are mine." Perhaps by remembering whose we are and by resting in His loving embrace we can love and serve others, even those we really don't feel much love for at various moments in our life and especially when that call to serve is in situations that are stinky places to serve [hardships as I Corinthians 13:3 says]. 

So may each of us be kept in His love today and always And may we/I love others well [even when we don't want to ... God give me your love to give away to others!]


Blessings Abundant
Being lovingly kept in His Arms,



No comments: