Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sanctification



□ Ex. 29:44-46; Acts 7

Theme:  Sanctification and in Acts - Stephen's defense. (1-50) Stephen reproves the Jews for the death of Christ. (51-53) The martyrdom of Stephen. (54-60)

S:  46 They shall know [from personal experience] and acknowledge that I am the Lord their God who brought them out …

But they didn’t according to Acts 7:43 “You also took along the tabernacle (portable temple) of Moloch and the star of the god Rompha …”  They thought they could have God + Moloch, but God is a jealous God.  He is not going to share the center stage (or backstage for that matter) with any other person or thing in your life.  It is Christ alone!

Stephen calls them out on it in verse 51 “You stiff-necked and stubborn people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you are always actively resisting the Holy Spirit. You are doing just as your fathers did.”

O:  I find it interesting that Stephen spent several minutes recounting the history of Israel to these well learned men of the council.  Matthew Henry points out that one of Stephen’s points in doing this was to reflect back on their very poor beginnings.  They took a lot of pride in being Jewish and Stephen points out that it was all God and had nothing to do with them.

Matthew Henry writes this in reflection of Verses 17-29 “Let us not be discouraged at the slowness of the fulfilling of God's promises. Suffering times often are growing times …”  I was discussing this with my children yesterday about Moses.  He was preserved from infancy for a special plan and purpose.  God takes care of his servants.  But it did take EIGHTY YEARS!  for Moses to be prepared and for God’s timing to be perfect. 

In regards to the temple Matthew Henry points this out, “… none of our services can profit Him who made all things. Next to the human nature of Christ, the broken and spiritual heart is his most valued temple.”  The leaders of that day (and even in to this day) loved the idea of the temple and the ordinances.  One of my prayers is that “doing” church would not become more important to us then “being” a church body and Christ’s servant.

“Stephen died as much in a hurry as ever any man did, yet, when he died, the words used are, he fell asleep; he applied himself to his dying work with as much composure as if he had been going to sleep. He shall awake again in the morning of the resurrection, to be received into the presence of the Lord, where is fullness of joy, and to share the pleasures that are at his right hand, for evermore.” ~ Matthew Henry Concise Commentary on Acts 7

A:  Application #1) to submit daily to the Holy Spirit, 2) to know from personal experience the LORD who brings me out and sanctifies me daily, 3) to not mix other “gods” with my service to Jesus, 4) to be patient to wait on God’s perfect timing and to prepare me fully for the works He has for me to do (Ephesians 2:10) and lastly 5) to be careful not to put church and “doing” above God, who is the head of the church.

P:  Dear Jesus, I know You are my Deliverer; the One who has redeemed me.  May I remember on a daily basis that You are the One who is in the process of making me more like Christ each day.  It is nothing I can do on my own except to be willing to listen and obey You.  May I not resist the Holy Spirit’s work in my life, but to become a daily sacrifice willing to do the things that You ask me to do.  May I be careful to not bring along my own “gods” as I seek to worship You each day, but to always remember it is Christ Alone!  Thank You for the good works that You have prepared for me to do according to Ephesians 2:10; some I feel I have already accomplished and some I look forward to doing and being used of You.  Thank You for being present in my life.  In Jesus’ Saving Name I pray, Amen & Amen.
 
Love & Blessings,

  Michelle L. Kirkbride


Join me in studying God's Word
Just click to join!
 

 

No comments: